Sunday, January 16, 2011

Today, I was thinking about what I wanted to do when I grew up. I still have a little time to think about what I want to major in at university, but I have to choose my options for the last two years of high school. These choices will have an effect on what major have in college which will affect what I do as a profession. For the past year, I have wanted to become a doctor, probably a surgeon. The only problem there is, I dont think I have the discipline it takes to go through the 10-12 years of training. Not only that, but during these years which are supposed to be the best, funnest years of my life, I wont have any time to socialize. After all this work to become a surgeon, it does not stop. There are still really long shifts that I will have to take. and sure I will probably love it at first, learning about the human body and medicine, but will I get sick of it? I dont want to be looking back on my life thinking that if I had just chosen something less time-consuming and maybe just as interesting, even if it meant a lower salary, I would have had a social life instead of working all the time. I think maybe I should not be a surgeon. In fact, if any of you are in the same situation as I am, well my thoughts are that it is better to compromise. Wouldn't all of you rather love your job and still have a lot of free time. Or what would you choose if you had either a job with flexible hours, kind of interesting or a very time-consuming one that you absolutely loved and got paid well with, but did not have any time for yourself, your family or your friends? What would it be? This is my advice to you and you can choose whether or not to take it. Do what you think seems the fairest and best for YOU!!! For instance, I have other dreams as well. I would like to have maybe some day a kid, and a few pets, and a girlfriend and tons of friends and a nice apartment in a big city. I dont need to be rich. As long as the bills are paid, and theres a little extra for something I would want. So what I would do is do something in life that gets me enough money, but has flexible hours. I know this seems unrelated to the actual blog topic. But think about it, Jobs are the only things keeping us from having lives. But we still need them, to pay for food and to get a roof over our heads. Im talking about living life here. When your a surgeon, you barely have time to live life, do you? Imagine just opening a cocktail bar on a beach in the Caribbean. How does that sound? Sure, there wont be a lot of money, but you're basically already on holiday, youll have enough cash to get an apartment or small house so why the hell not? Or, maybe get a job in real estate. You might not find it interesting but at least you'll be well off with flexible work hours. This is all just something to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment